Each Pitt unit (e.g. a lab, work team, department, residence hall area) will have a designated Pandemic Safety Ambassador.
Ambassadors are resources for their colleagues and will assist with questions and the execution of their unit’s operational plans. These designees:
Are a resource to individuals in their units regarding pandemic mitigation measures offered by the University.
- They remain up-to-date on current guidance found at coronavirus.pitt.edu, and applicable Centers for Disease Control, PA Department of Health, and Allegheny County Health Department guidance for their unit’s specific work tasks or areas.
- They serve as a liaison to building/facility managers, Environmental Health & Safety and other administrative departments regarding their unit’s mitigation measures.
- They support the implementation of their unit’s Area Activity Plan.
Support the maintenance of the inventory of supplies needed (e.g. face coverings, cleaning products, gloves, required PPE for assigned tasks) to mitigate COVID-19 as outlined in their unit’s Area Activity Plan.
- They provide a face covering for anyone in the assigned space that does not have a self-supplied face covering.
- They ensure that personnel have the proper guidance for wearing face coverings.
- They provide gloves for disinfection and cleaning. Specialty gloves may be required for lab-related tasks or the handling of certain concentrated cleaning products. Consult the scientific staff in the lab or EH&S.
Support cleaning and disinfection procedures that are performed by individuals in the area.
- They identify any high-touch surfaces that are not cleaned by custodial staff, including but not limited to service counters, shared lab equipment, and break area surfaces.
- They monitor that the high-touch surfaces remain cleaned and disinfected on established schedules.
- They ensure that soap and water, and hand sanitizer remain available for hand hygiene.
Monitor adherence to pandemic mitigation measures by individuals in the area.
Serve as a resource for supervisors and persons performing contact tracing in the event an individual on the unit is confirmed or probable for COVID-19.
- In such an event, they support coordination of any required room closure and re-opening.
- They support coordination (along with EH&S) of specific cleaning measures performed by designated personnel.
Demonstrate proper health hygiene and be a role model for Pitt’s health rules.
- They model the best practices all of us can do to help keep ourselves and our community healthy and safe.